[KS] Call for Papers

dktina.lee at utoronto.ca dktina.lee at utoronto.ca
Tue Nov 16 20:43:43 EST 2010

SPECTACLE

The 11th Annual East Asian Studies Graduate Student Conference,
University of Toronto

CALL FOR PAPERS

We are delighted to announce, Spectacle, the University of Toronto's
11th annual East Asian Studies Graduate Student Conference taking
place Saturday, March 5, 2011. We welcome submissions that critically
address the history, production and mediation of public gatherings and
display in the context of East Asia. Possible topics for papers
include but are not limited to spectatorship and memory; urban
development and the temporalization of communities; stagings of power
and protest; the diaspora and migrations of identity; cultural
heritage sites and the rhetorics of identity; the visuality and
aesthetics of exaggeration; and the impact of technology on social
interactions. We encourage entries from graduate students working in
the fields of East Asian Studies, History, Comparative Literature,
Media Studies, Economics, Religious Studies, Philosophy, Political
Science, Anthropology, Architecture and Art History among others.

Those interested in presenting papers should submit an abstract of 300
words or less and a brief biography by Friday, December 24, 2010. We
welcome submissions from both individuals and panels. Submissions are
also eligible for publication in the East Asia Forum, a journal
reviewed by faculty and edited by graduate students in the University
of Toronto?s Department of East Asian Studies.
Selected participants will be requested to submit their completed
papers by Friday, February 11, 2011. Presentation papers should be
1500-2500 words long.

Participants who wish their papers to be considered for publication
should submit a publication-ready copy of 4000 words. During the
conference, participants will each be allotted 20 minutes to present
their work.

Submissions and queries may be sent to easgrad.conference at utoronto.ca.