[KS] Inconvenient line of argument? Japanese descended from Korean...then why sensitivity?

Kye C Kim kc.kim2 at gmail.com
Thu May 12 23:01:32 EDT 2011

Hi,

Thanks to Kwang On Yoo for starting yet another fascinating thread.

This topic brought to mind some comments by a polyglot American
lawyer-banker who also spoke faultless Japanese and was helping me
get some insight into the Japanese and Korean capital market
regulations.

During one of the breaks, with his and my own interest in languages
playing a part, this very topic came up: Japanese descended from Korean.

He was puzzled and brought up the point, knowing about the Korean's
bitterness over its colonial past and the extreme Korean sensitivity about
the role of Japanese Language in Korean the rather inconvenient logical
consequences that would follow.

His point was: "Doesn't the Korean descent of the Japanese Imperial
family give legitimacy to the Japanese imperial/colonial claim on Korea and
strengthen justification for colonization ?" And along the same line:
"If Japanese is descended from Korean, then Japanese is "Korean"
and there should be little sensitivity over adopting Japanese as "form
of Korean. Ergo, no justification for SENSITIVITY."

Now, there was much tongue in cheek in his remarks, but they did give
me pause.

Regards,

Joobai Lee

5/13/2011