[KS] KCTV's hour-long paean to Kim Jong-un yesterday can now be seen in full by all

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Thu Jan 12 11:20:24 EST 2012

The _Rodong sinmun_ is now also has an ENGLISH Web edition.
http://www.rodong.rep.kp/InterEn/
If that link doe snot work for you, then go to main site,
http://www.rodong.rep.kp/ and click on the ENGLISH tab (upper right)
-- that worked for me.
Articles there are also included in the customized Google search that I have at
http://koreaweb.ws/13_news.html

The rhetoric, the language of leadership, seems to match the
descriptions in Orwell's _1984_ (yes, I think it is a quite
appropriate reference, however often it was already used): only the
"Great Leaders" were allowed to invent new phrases, to use language
in a creative way ... and once father or son Kim did, those phrases
were then reduplicated down the ranks and enshrined. The grandson's
"accustomed to working all night" phrase was already invented by
Grandpa, and used by son Kim also:
Pyongyang, January 27, 2002 (KCNA):
"But he told them that he had become accustomed to working all night
and he would take a full rest when Korea joins the ranks of the most
developed countries in the world and the people are well off. He then
said the day would surely come and victory always belongs to the
Korean people."
Those are all the same continuous patterns of the same oppressive
machine with all its sub-mechanisms. ... But you know what the
destiny is of those people who have all their pencils sharpened and
lined up on their desk in strict order: someone opens the window by
accident, and ...

As Michael Rank said, a depressing experience. Better study Cuban
communism, so much more fun.

Best,
Frank