[KS] More on 'hangughag' for clarifying the -g & -k problem

Sangoak Lee sangoak2 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 08:49:42 EST 2014

When I wrote the previous email, there were many squares as shown in the
original Busan Univ. site. However, they were disappeared on the way of
transferring and look like scrambled. Please refer to the original ENGLISH
interface:

 > http://roman.cs.pusan.ac.kr/input_eng.aspx       In this site there
is----
*5. Academic applications: to convert them assuming Hangul is restored. *

 This 5 is BASED ON the followng (8):

Cf. Romanization of Korean

3. Special Provisions for Romanization

(8) When it is necessary to convert Romanized Korean back to Hangeul in
special cases such as in academic articles, Romanization is done according
to Hangeul spelling and not pronunciation. Each Hangeul letter is Romanized
as explained in section 2 except that ㄱ, ㄷ, ㅂ, ㄹ are always written as g,
d, b, l. When ㅇ has no sound value, it is replaced by a hyphen may also be
used when it is necessary to distinguish between syllables.

I have tried to explain why we sometimes get *gug* instead of *guk*. Also I
would like to add the following:

(a) Unlike scholars of Korean history, literature, and some others, (b)
many linguists would use RR romanization and then need to convert it back
to Hangeul to process bulky linguistic data.

(a)  Persons' name   ①Han Gukhak ②Han Kukhak [Allowed] Han Guk-
                          hak

     Proper nouns    ① Hangukak ② Han'gukak

     Administrative areas    ① Hangukak ②Han'gukak

     General things    ① han-guk-ak ② han-'guk-ak

 (b) Academic applications    ① hangughag ② hankughag

    Customary       [Allowed] hankughag

In the above (a) may be used widely including social scientists, but (b) is
useful mostly in linguistc data prosessing. However, 'Customary' is the
most troublesome because there are too many varieties without predictable
rules and it is almost endless to register all needed forms in our
dictionary. Maybe we have to accept more frequently used forms first and go
on to accumulate more when necessary.

--
이상억 Sang-Oak Lee/www.sangoak.com
Prof. Emeritus, Dep't of Korean