[KS] Revised Romanization Detailed Guidelines?

Dennis Lee dennislee.edu at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 05:13:12 EST 2016

Dear Marcy,

For personal names/surnames, it's arbitrary for the most part and up to the
individual. The South Korean government even gave up trying to standardize
it. There are some general conventions that most people follow as you
pointed out (e.g. Park, Woo, Lee, etc.). In one class, I have a Park, Bak,
Pak, and Bahk, all who have the same surname 박.

As for the long and storied history of Korean Romanization, I'm sure there
are plenty of people on this list who can tell it better than I can,
especially the great Romanization flame wars that took place in the early
2000s when the South Korean government created their own system.

Best,
Dennis