[KS] In Due Course

Sperwer Accipiter sperweractual at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 09:01:36 EST 2016

This reminds me of the issue regarding the meaning of the term "good
offices" in the American-Korean Friendship Treaty.  That term, though, had
a well-established customary meaning as a result of years of diplomatic
practice and precedent and thus a determinate significance as a matter of
international law.  "In due course", by contrast was, as the drafting
history demonstrates, a new coinage. I doubt very much that the choice of
language was in any way influenced by considerations about how it might
play to Japanese ears; but it very certainly was affected by the divergent
positions of the allies regarding the post-war disposition of colonial
holdings - it seems like a bit of diplomatic palaver designed to avoid open
disagreement on a subject the language about which could have much wider
ramifications than  for just Korea while leaving all the parties with
almost complete freedom of maneuver when the topic became more of a
priority than it was in 1943. In that sense, it was almost meaningless in
itself - nothing more than a temporizing formula.  The real story is in the
details of the Allies' respective position on the subject of national
liberation generally, Korean national liberation specifically, the clash of
those positions in the context of all the facets of the postwar
"settlement" and, like Wilson's pronouncements in WW1, the (unintended)
galvanizing effect on subject peoples for whom the language became one of
the tools of their assertion of their own voice and role in the process.

"The purpose of today's training is to defeat yesterday's understanding."