[KS] Publication Announcement "Confucian Academies in East Asia"

Gehlmann, Martin Martin.Gehlmann at fu-berlin.de
Thu Apr 16 05:26:05 EDT 2020

Dear Koreanstudies mailinglist,

I hope everybody is safe and doing well. We would like to announce the publication of our volume “Confucian Academies in East Asia” at Brill.

https://brill.com/view/title/56726

The volume includes several articles about Confucian Academies on the Korean Peninsula, including two chapters on academies in North Korea.

  1.  Introduction
  2.  Some Reflections on Confucian Academies in China By: Hoyt Cleveland Tillman
  3.  An Enquiry into the Origins of Confucian Academies and the Mingtang in the Tang Period By: Minamizawa Yoshihiko and Chien Iching
  4.  The Nature and Educational Activities of Sungyang Academy in Kaesŏng By: Chung Soon-woo
  5.  Private Academies and Confucian Education in 18th-Century Vietnam in East Asian Context: The Case of Phúc Giang Academy By: Nguyễn Tuấn-Cường
  6.  Transmutations of the Confucian Academy in Japan: Private Academies of Chinese Learning (Kangaku Juku 漢学塾) in Late Tokugawa and Meiji Japan as a Reflection and a Motor of Epistemic Change By: Margaret Mehl
  7.  Like Tea and Rice at Home: Lecture Gatherings and Academies during the Ming Dynasty By: Deng Hongbo
  8.  Books and Book Culture in Oksan Academy By: Lee Byoung-Hoon
  9.  Archery Ranges in the Educational Tradition of Confucian Academies in China By: Thomas H.C. Lee
  10. Transmissions of the White Deer Grotto Academy Articles of Learning in Korea By: Martin Gehlmann
  11. Confucian Academies and Their Urban Environments in Qing China By: Steven Miles
  12. Shrines, Sceneries, and Granary: The Constitutive Elements of the Confucian Academy in 16th-Century Korea By: Vladimír Glomb
  13. Disputes between Confucian Academies and Buddhist Monasteries from a Sociocultural View: The Case of the Wufeng Academy Litigation By: Lan Jun
  14. Songyang Academy in Time and Place: From Confucian Academy to Cultural Heritage By: Linda Walton
  15. The Transmission and Transformation of Confucian Academy Rituals as Seen in Taiwanese Academies By: Chien Iching
  16. Between Ruins and Relics: North Korean Discourse on Confucian Academies By: Vladimír Glomb and Eun-Jeung Lee

The volume will hopefully be available soon in a library near you, but for the isolated scholar it should also be available right now through the Brill Asian Studies E-Book Collection (which to my knowledge, requires a license).

Best,
Vladimir, Eun-Jeung and Martin